Abortion is a hotly-debated topic. The discussion for or against tends to focus around a few broad topics, such as religion, science, ethics and human rights.
We're going to look at the following ideas
- Religious views on abortion are open to interpretation
- Banning abortion does not reduce harm, nor does it reduce abortions
- Biology does not give us a clear-cut definition of when a fetus becomes a person
- A fundamental understanding of human rights demands that a pregnant person be able to end their pregnancy
- People who hold a religious objection to abortion can apply that belief to their own pregnancy, but cannot force it on others simply because they hold the belief
Let's dig in